The 21th Sziget Festival will be held on Óbuda Island from Monday 5 August to Monday 12 August 2013. Thanks to the agreement between Sziget and BKK Centre for Budapest Transport, special CityPASS wristbands will go on sale entitling holders to public transport and other special services during the event. Furthermore, we are launching special dedicated transport services and provide higher frequencies on suburban railway line H5, tram lines 1 and 1A as well as on night bus lines 901 and 918. Tram 4-6 provides around-the-clock service on the Grand Boulevard between Széll Kálmán tér and Corvin-negyed metro stations during the whole period of the event.
During this year’s, the 21st Sziget Festival
– we provide more frequent and also night services on suburban railway H5, higher frequencies on several additional transport lines, additionally we also provide higher capacity on night buses serving the area,
– we launch special dedicated boat services to Sziget,
– we sell jointly with Sziget CityPASS wristbands which entitle holders among others to free public transport on BKK’s services within the area of the City of Budapest, to free entry to spas and pools, provides discounts on Budapest museum tickets, the zoo and the amusement park and the services of City Taxi,
– we provide shuttle bus transfers for CityPASS holders from the airport directly to Sziget
TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO THE SZIGET FESTIVAL ON ÓBUDA ISLAND
The venue of Sziget Festival is Óbuda Island located in the northern part of Budapest and it can be reached from the Buda side of the river Danube. Access is recommended by suburban railway line H5 but a nearly one-kilometre-long walk is also an option from buses 9, 34, 86, 106, 134 and 234 coming from the city centre, Kőbánya and South Buda or alternatively by the dedicated boat service.
Suburban railway line H5 can be easily accessed at the following connection points:
- Batthyány tér stop of metro line M2, which is also the city terminus of suburban railway H5
- the Margit híd stop by trams 4 and 6
- Batthyány tér stop of trams 19 as well as of bus 86 from South Buda
- from Liszt Ferenc International Airport: bus 200E to Kőbánya-Kispest metro station, metro line M3 to Deák Ferenc tér metro station and connection to metro line M2 to Batthyány tér
- from both Déli and Keleti pályaudvar train stations take metro line M2
- from Nyugati train station take trams 4-6 to the Margit híd budai hídfő stop
- from Árpád híd national bus terminal take tram line 1 to Szentlélek tér
- from the regional bus terminal at Kelenföldi pályaudvar train station take tram line 19
- from the Népliget national and international bus terminal take metro line M3 to Deák Ferenc tér M, transfer to M2 to Batthyány
- from the Stadion regional and national bus terminal take metro line M2 to Batthyány tér
In addition to the above, BKK launches special direct services to Óbuda Island: only the Sziget-Budapest CityPASS entitles festival-goers to use the shuttle bus transfer services to and from the airport as well as the special boat service to the island. The boat service can also be used without the CityPASS by buying tickets on board at the price of HUF 900.
The maps below help with orientation on how to access the location of Sziget Festival:
HIGHER FREQUENCY AND MORE CAPACITY ON SOME OF OUR PUBLIC TRANSPORT ROUTES:
We are adjusting our services to accommodate the significantly higher-than-usual level of traffic in the area as follows: in order to support the increased passenger numbers during the Sziget Festival, we provide higher frequencies in the timetable as well as more capacity on some of our services.
- Suburban railway H5 (Szentendre): from 5:30 on Monday, 5 August to 20:00 on Monday, 12 August suburban railway line H5 runs more frequently with six-car trains. Also, night service is provided during the festival between Batthyány tér and Kaszásdűlő stations every 15 minutes.
- Trams 1 and 1A: from Monday, 5 August to Sunday, 11 August trams run more frequently, about every 3 minutes in the afternoons and every 7-8 minutes in the evenings until 20:00 on workdays and every 7-8 minutes all day on weekends.
- Night buses 901 and 918: service will be provided by larger-capacity articulated buses from Óbuda to the Hungária ringroad in the late night hours of Sunday 5 August and early morning hours of Monday 6 August as well as in late night hours of Sunday 11 August and early morning hours of Monday 12 August.
TRAM SERVICE ON THE GRAND BOULEVARD DURING THE PERIOD OF THE FESTIVAL
Track refurbishment is taking place on the routes of tram lines 4 and 6 between Corvin-negyed metro station and the terminuses in South Buda (tram 4: Újbuda-Központ, tram 6: Móricz Zsigmond körtér) from 27 July and 19 August 2013. Consequently, tram 4-6 will be operating on a shortened route between Széll Kálmán tér metro station in Buda and Corvin-negyed metro station in Pest during the Sziget Festival. Furthermore, during the Sziget Festival tram 4-6 will also run every 10-15 minutes throughout the night, thus the line will be in service around the clock.
Tram 4 is replaced by bus 4V between Corvin-negyed M and the Újbuda-Központ terminus.
Tram 6 is replaced
- during the day by bus 6-47V via Corvin-negyed M – Petőfi híd – Karinthy Frigyes út – Móricz Zsigmond körtér – Hauszmann Alajos utca
- between 12 midnight and 4:00 by tram 4-6 between Széll Kálmán tér M and Corvin-negyed M, while tram replacement bus 6V runs only between Corvin-negyed M and Móricz Zsigmond körtér on those nights
SPECIAL DEDICATED BOAT SERVICES:
Between Monday, 5 August and Sunday, 11 August dedicated boat services connect Petőfi tér (Erzsébet híd) and Óbuda Island (boat service D21) as well as Jászai Mari tér and Óbuda Island. CityPASS holders can use the boat service without extra charge; all others must buy a ticket on board for 900 HUF.
The boats serve the following piers:
- Vigadó tér Pier 3/a (Petőfi tér), 4th pier towards Vigadó tér from the docking point of BKK public transport boat services
- Batthyány tér MAHART Pier 2, next pier towards Margit híd from the docking point of BKK public transport boat services
- Jászai Mari tér Pier 2, 6th pier towards Árpád from the docking point of BKK public transport boat services
- Óbuda Island pier – Hajógyári Sziget, docking point of BKK public transport boat services
The exact locations of the piers can be seen at these maps:
The boats operate every 30 minutes on Monday 5 August and Tuesday 6 August from 16:00 to 21:00; and also between Wednesday 7 August and Sunday 11 August from 14:00 to 1:00.
Please find timetables of the special boat service here.:
- Petőfi tér – Batthyány tér M+H – Óbudai-sziget
- Óbudai-sziget – Batthyány tér M+H – Petőfi tér
- Jászai Mari tér – Óbudai-sziget
- Óbudai-sziget – Jászai Mari tér
SZIGET-AIRPORT BUS TRANSFER SERVICE:
From Saturday 3 August to Wednesday 7 August – during the days of “moving in” – and the first days free direct transfer service is providedfrom Terminal 2 of Liszt Ferenc International Airport to the car park of the Óbuda- Auchan store only in the direction from the airport to town every 30 minutes between 8:45 and 00:30 at night exclusively for Budapest CityPASS holders. To pick up your CityPASS please stop by at BKK’ Customer Service Centre at the arrivals level of Terminal 2B.
On Monday 12 August – the day of “moving out” – free direct transfer service is provided from Óbuda- Auchan store car park to Terminal 2 of Liszt Ferenc International Airport only in the direction to the airport every 10 minutes in the early hours, every 15 minutes in the morning and every 20 minutes later on between 3:00 in the morning and 14:00 exclusively for Budapest CityPASS holders.
Further information about the transfer service is available here.
SERVICES AVAILABLE WITH THE SZIGET CityPASS
BKK Centre for Budapest Transport provides unlimited travel for Sziget CityPASS holders on scheduled public transport services: on the full tram-, trolleybus- and metro network and on the cogwheel-railway; on buses up to the first stop following the Budapest city boundary, on the suburban railway within the Budapest city area as well as on public transport boat lines D11 and D12 on weekdays only and also all dedicated boat services to the Sziget. Only Sziget CityPASS holders can take advantage of the airport transfers.
Sziget CityPASS also ensures one-time free entry to any of Budapest’s many spas or swimming pools and 20% discount for all later visits. Further discounts are given as follows:
- 35% for some Budapest events
- 50% off the price of some of the major museums
- 20% discount for the Budapest Zoo and
- 30% for the Amusement Park
- as well as Tariff Group 5 discount on the services of City Taxi
CityPasses are valid from midnight on Thursday, 1 August to midnight on Tuesday 13 August at the price of HUF 8,700 (29 €).
The 48-hour CityPass is valid from the day of purchase to midnight of the following day at the price of 2,700 HUF (9 €).
Our ticket offices below are CityPASS sales points.
Wristband passes are on sale at BKK’s Customer Service points at the airport and at Sziget sales points as well.
Please note that the CityPASS is not valid for entry to the festival.
ROAD TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS IN THE AREA OF ÓBUDA ISLAND
For security reasons, please note that traffic restrictions will be in place again during the Sziget Festival in the area of Óbuda Island. From 20:00 on Friday, 2 August to 18:00 on 12 August the section between Mozaik utca and the new road to Gázgyári lakótelep of Jégtörő utca will be closed, also the section between Mozaik utca 16. and Jégtörő utca will be closed.
No stopping and parking restriction will be in place at the following locations during the same time period:
- on both sides of Reményi Ede utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Benedek Elek utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Vajda János utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Mozaik utca Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Leányfalu utca between Reményi Ede utca and Mozaik utca
- on both sides of the Óbudai embankment between Mozaik utca and Szépvölgyi út
- on both sides of Jégtörő út between the Auchan access road and Mozaik utca
- on the Auchan connection road and the area between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út to the east of the roundabout
As the Sziget ticket offices will be located in the parking area near the intersection of Jégtörő utca and K-híd leading to the island, it will be prohibited to stop there.
Only special permit holders will have car access to the area marked by Szentendrei út – Reményi Ede út – Jégtörő utca – Mozaik utca during the event.
At the request of the Budapest Police, car access will be prohibited to the section of the lower Buda embankment between the southern access point near Margit híd and the Mozaik utca junction – with the help of police cordons – every day from 18:00 to 22:00 between 4 and 11 August. Car access to the closed section of the embankment is possible for direct traffic only based on the evaluation of the police.
Have a good time at the festival!